Home                                        About                                       Our Apartment                                        Contact




Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Happiness

Lately I've started so many of my sentences with, "I'm reading this book, "The Happiness Project." And then I explain the wonders of this book and how it has helped me. I guess as I become happier, I can't help but want to talk about it. Happiness is a state in which so many of us want to be. And for me, I never realized that the simplest things achieve the greatest results.

I will say, I haven't finished the entire book. I am almost finished with just a few more chapters left. I'll be sad when I've finished the whole thing because each time I read a sentence, a paragraph or a whole chapter I'm left feeling invigorated and a little bit more wise.

In the beginning of the book, the author lays out simple commandments for herself. For each reader, these commandments will vary. I have taken a few of hers and used them as my own. Certain commandments like, "Do it now," or "Act the ay I want to feel" have inspired me to begin my own happiness project.

"Do it now" is where I've begun. I am an endless procrastinator. Whether its doing my taxes by April 15th, putting away that last dish, or avoiding a heaping pile of laundry (altogether, honestly), I seem to put things off. "Do it now" has such an amazing effect. I do one thing and enjoy the reward of literally crossing it off my list (I have to do this!) that I end up doing another and another. As the very last item has been checked, I'm left feeling so accomplished. Accomplishments make me happy.

I actively try to "Act the way I want to feel." Positive thoughts, forcing a smile, or looking for good in a not so stellar situation lead you to feeling better. It's amazing and so simple. Instead of saying to my inner self, "Oh I can't do xyz." I stop myself and say "Yes, I can do this!" And then of course, I think back to my completed goal list.

Here are some things that have been making me happy lately...

DSC_0748
Zucchini and onion tart. So easy, healthy, and delicious.

DSC_0771
Chopped salad with leftover roasted mushrooms and carrots.

DSC_0844

DSC_0850
Herb Garden

DSC_0708
And of course, this guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts