Home                                        About                                       Our Apartment                                        Contact




Thursday, August 2, 2012

{Life} Gratitude

Journal1 This may sound crazy, but one of the biggest blessings of my life is the fact that I have 2 sets of parents. I've always been grateful for this; I have great relationships with each of them.

My mother is one of my dearest friends.  We both really get each other and we rely on each other quite a bit for moral support.  She's often the first person I call when I just want to "talk."

And with my father, as I've grown older, we've really found our groove and developed an incredible bond.  I think one of the coolest things about our relationship is the fact that it's documented through letters and emails.  While I have memorable conversations with my mom, I have the benefit of having tangible, written memories with my father.  I have almost all of the letters he has written to me, and have saved many of his emails.  I often refer back to these letters, especially when I feel the need for a confidence boost.

I post this not to exploit our closeness, but to share something with you that has helped me, and this week, especially.  Here is an excerpt from something he wrote to me on New Years Eve last year.  I have read it often throughout the year, when I've felt like I needed just a little extra love.  I'm so glad to be loved like this.

"I will always cheer for you. I cherish how original you are. I truly know no other person on that planet that is like you. I am intensely proud of that and of you. I love how you have a hippie fetish that needs nourishment, how you can laugh at yourself, tell others what needs fixing ("It looks homemade."), strive to do the best you can, even if what you do is not your life's work. As you continue your walk through life, I hope you discover a place where you realize satisfaction in the way you do what you do as much as what you do."

If you know me well, you know that I'm not the biggest fan of change.  I like to pretend that I am, because that makes me less neurotic and more agreeable.  But I'm beginning to realize that I'm old enough to accept myself for who I am.  Change and making changes, for me, is quite challenging, even when they are to my benefit.

My heart is a little heavy this week, so yesterday, I decided to start a gratitude journal.  My first entry is about how grateful I am to have such an amazing family.

Until, tomorrow... xoxo

2 comments:

  1. If I had a gratitude journal, the first entry would be your name. XOXO mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the sweetest and most loving person ever. I love you times a million bajillion!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts