Home                                        About                                       Our Apartment                                        Contact




Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Birds.

DSC_0015
A month ago, the Mr. and I went to an incredible Japanese soba house.  This restaurant, named Tei An, is honestly, one of the best meals I've ever had.  Everything served was delicious and inventive, yet comforting and soulful.  And even better yet, the food matched the interior.  While I was marveling at each and every dish, I was as equally enchanted by the beautiful, secluded dining room in which we were seated.  The style of the restaurant is beautifully modern, without being cold.  It has a warmth and comfort that I sometimes find difficult to achieve when designing modern spaces.

Above and to the left of our table was a flock of beautiful origami birds.  They seemed so delicate and whimsical in the moody, grey dining room.  I was instantly inspired by them, and knew that I wanted to incorporate something similar into our home.

I wondered, however, how it would fit in with our current decor, which currently has lots of curvy pieces, and a few modern touches.  I like to mix these things, but find that balancing them incredibly important for flow and continuity.  I'd say our place is 80 % traditional and 20 % modern.

While brainstorming one afternoon, it occurred to me, that if I could find a beautiful birdcage, I could house the origami birds.  It could be kitschy and whimsical, but most importantly that traditional meets modern balance that I really love.  And I did just that.  One afternoon, while browsing for housewares, I found an inexpensive, and decidedly plain birdcage.  Gold spray paint, origami birds, and tiny bits of string brought this idea to life.  It fills up an otherwise empty corner of the small bedroom I share with the Mr.  I like it because it isn't just a picture on the wall; it's art suspended from the ceiling and is viewable from the two entryways into our bedroom.

I'm sure this idea isn't for everyone, but it works for us.
DSC_0009 DSC_0013 DSC_0010

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts